North Meadow NNR is the main research site for the Floodplain Meadows Partnership. Research started on North Meadow in 1997 and a huge amount of data is now available. A data set of this length is unique. As a result it provides many opportunities understanding this rare lowland hay meadow habitat. The video below explains how this research is carried out and used.
The Floodplain Meadows Partnership aim to improve knowledge about the conservation, management and restoration of floodplain meadows. For example Floodplain Meadows – A Technical Handbook is an excellent resource for anyone wishing to manage or restore a lowland hay meadow.
Over the years many PhD students have carried out experimental work on North Meadow. A recent PhD thesis entitled “Management of dominant Carex species on floodplain meadows” is available as a summary or in full from EThOS
A local example of a restoration project, is Priors Ham, a small (4Ha) species poor meadow, adjacent to North Meadow. Restoration of Priors Ham to species rich meadow started in 2010. Progress of this restoration is covered in the Floodplain Meadows Partnership case study on the project.
Regular Newsletters give an interesting summary of current issues and activites. The most recent newsletters can be found below.
- Work on Oceanic Wet Grasslands in Scotland: an update
- Fritillary Fest 2022
- Farmers – we need your views!
- Flourishing Floodplains project update
- Ecover Fertilise the Future ‘Meadows for the Climate’: one year in
- Assessing the extent of historical floodplain meadows using GIS
- Meeting with Ministers, Defra civil servants and APPG’s: A policy update
- Robert Gillmor
- FMP Art competition and calendar
- October 2021 online conference summary
- Flourishinhg Floodplains GCRF
- Ecover Fertilise the Future Meadows for the Climate project update
- Global movement on sustainable and biodiverse grasslands
- Ecover Meadows for the Climate project
- Launch of our Arts and Crafts competition 2021
- Community Arts project in Worcestershire
- Updates on FMP Ambassadors
- Glorious Cotswolds Grasslands
- Towards Net Zero Using Nature Based Solutions in Floodplains – A Policy Workshop
- Oceanic Wet Grasslands in Scotland – update
- Priority Habitat Inventory and floodplain meadows
- Floodplain meadows as NFM measures
- History of floodplain landuse
- Policy update
- Pilobolus crystallinus
- Latest research – Oxley Mead
- Soil carbon -where do floodplain meadows sit in the debate
- Having a break: dormancy in snake’s-head fritillary
- Calthion in Scotland – what did we find?
- Policy update
- Updates on Ambassadors, PhD students and FMP questionnaire
Information on research carried out by the Floodplain Meadows Partnership can be found on their website.Welcome » North Meadow » Floodplain Meadows Partnership »