The Manorial Court for the Hundred and Borough of Cricklade
History of the Court
Cricklade Court Leet has been part of the Cricklade community since the formation of Manorial Courts following the Norman Conquest which started at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Today, the Cricklade Court is one of only 32 courts remaining in the UK.
Our Role Today
The Cricklade Court has a continuing role in the management of the common lands of Cricklade; which includes the appointment of a Hayward; and the management of the grazing on North Meadow National Nature Reserve.
The Cricklade Court works closely with Natural England on the management and conservation of this National Nature Reserve. Natural England have owned and managed this site since the 1970s. The Natural England leaflet on North Meadow explains in more detail.
The Cricklade Court Leet became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation in 2018 and has 25 volunteer members who are involved in many of the Town’s activties in addition to conservation work on North Meadow National Nature Reserve. The Cricklade Town Council website has a map of Cricklade, giving information about local landmarks.